Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Land Cable

Today in class we learned how to make a land, patch, or network cable. I am ready to try it out! I thought the process was going to be long and tedious, yet it was rather quick. First, you just have  to cut about 3 meters of cable and score the cable. Then you cut off part of sheath. Then you cut off thread and you have 4 pairs of wires. You seperate them and make them straight. You put them in the order from left to right: white-orange, orange, white-green, blue, white-blue, green, and white-brown, brown. You then make all the wires even by cutting them straight across. You put the white piece on. You then use the Cat 5 crimper to make sure the white piece stays secure. Lastly, you do the same thing to the other side and then you can test it out to see if it works. You turn off your internet and plug your cable in and test it.
I really liked learning this and can't wait to try it on my own tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment